Frequently Asked Questions:
Space118 Fine Art Grant -21-22
How do I apply for the Space118 Fine Art Grant?
You can apply by filling the application form through the link mentioned here : Application Form, 2021-22 submitting your resume with your portfolio, including work from the last 5 years. Pls do not email us your application with images. All email applications wont be accepted.
- Till when can I apply?
The deadline for submitting the application for the Space118 Fine Art Grant is 30th June 2021.
Who can apply?
An Indian artist under the age of 40 (born after 1st July, 1981) who has a B.F.A. degree or equivalent, prior to applying. Any bachelor’s degree or its equivalent like a diploma etc can also apply for the grant. If you have been a Space118 artist in the past, you can apply and if you have applied previously for a Space118 grant, you can still apply again.
Can the applicant have any other equivalent degree for application instead of B.F.A (eg. B.Des, B.Arch)?
Yes, it has to be an equivalent degree, the applicant can even hold a diploma.
Can I apply for more than one project? Is it best to submit different applications for each project?
No, you can only apply for one project or one proposal at a time, if you have two projects in mind, submit both in the same application form.
Where can I send my application?
The link for the application is ‘Space118 Fine Art Grant 2021-22’ .
What will be the selection process?
The grantee will be selected by an esteemed jury panel that comprises prominent members of the industry including Shilpa Gupta-Artist, Mortimer Chatterjee-Gallerist, and Lekha Poddar-Collector.
- Is there an application fee?
There is no cost for applying for the Space118 Fine Art Grant.
- Are Indian artists abroad or international artists allowed to apply?
No, Only Indian residents with a valid Indian passport and residing in the country are allowed to apply for the Space118 Fine Art Grant.
- Is there an age eligibility or limit for applying?
Only artists below the age of 40 can apply for the Space118 Fine Art Grant. We are encouraging artists who have spent early part of their life dedicated to the arts, to not move away from it and keep on practising.
- Are there any other costs to be directly handed over to Space118?
No, there is nothing to be paid by the artists before or after accepting the grant.
Will I be required to give an artwork in return to Space118?
- Will I be required to give an artwork in return to Space118?
No, you are not required to give us any of your works in return. If you still wish to donate a work to Space118, thats totally upto you. But it is not mandatory.
- What will be the grant amount?
The grant amount should be proposed by the applicant (between Rs.15,000-Rs1,00,000) in their application form, according to their requirement. We will announce the grant amount after the grantees have been selected.
- How much grant amount should I apply for?
You may apply for a grant amount between Rs.15,000-Rs.1,00,000, with a project proposal and budget break-down. Please make sure the bursary amount may only be used towards production cost of the work and for any other miscellaneous expenses. Please only ask for the amount you really need.
- What should the budget encompass? Can I get an example of how to fill in the Timeline and the Budget break-down section in the application form?
The budget should encompass all the expenses you think you will be making directly towards the production of the work.
Here is a simple example:
Timeline and Budget Break-down: For a series of three canvas paintings.
Sep-Oct: Buying Stretchers/ Canvas, Winsor and Newton Oil Paints, brushes, pencils, charcoal, oil, turpentine, wooden palette, oil paper. Researching, making preparatory sketches on paper, small canvases. Starting work on the final canvas. (Rs XXXXX)
Oct-Dec: Researching, working on the painting – closer to its final form. (no direct expenses)
Dec-Mar: Final layers to finish the painting, mounting relevant sketches, framing of the works. (Rs XXXX)
Total Proposed Amount: Rs XXXX
Do I need to have a specific project in mind?
Yes, a proposal explaining what you will be working on during the grant period has to be submitted along with the application form. Many a times, it could mean continuing your current practise, pls mention the same.
Can the project I propose be the completion of a project that is currently underway?
Absolutely, you could propose the completion of a project that is underway. But make sure the grant amount should only be used to cover expenses during the current timeline proposed by you, and not for expenditures that you may have made in the past.
- Can I suggest the mentor?
Yes, you may suggest, but the final call will be taken by the jury members according to who they feel is suitable for you.
- Will the mentorship sessions be one-to-one? How long will each session be?
Yes, there will be two mentoring sessions and both will be one-to-one (online); with each session being one hour long.
- What will be the dates of the mentorship sessions?
The dates of the mentorship sessions will be decided in advance, taking into account your and the mentor’s availability. Once confirmed, the dates will not be changed unless the Mentor changes the date.
- Can the Mentoring sessions be recorded?
The mentoring sessions may be recorded for you to revisit them later, as long as the mentor is comfortable with the same. It depends on a case to case basis and we need to take their permission before the recording.
- What if I am unable to photograph my works for the mentoring sessions?
That’s completely alright, you could take the mentors through your work in progress in your studio through a video. It is also something you must discuss with your mentor in advance over email.
- What if I am lagging behind, and not able to complete my work as per the proposed timeline?
In such a case, please make sure you inform your mentor about the same during the review sessions. However, the grant period doesn’t change, as all others are following the same timeline.
- Will there be a physical exhibition of my works, and do I need to be in Mumbai for the Open Studio Day?
No, there will be an online exhibition of your works on the scheduled Virtual Open Studio Day, which will happen on Zoom. The format for it will be discussed with you. Hence, you need not be in Mumbai for the same.
- Am I eligible for a stay at Space118 Studios if I am traveling to Mumbai during the grant period?
Sorry, you are not eligible for a stay at the Space118 Studios, and the grant does not entail any travel/accommodation expenses either.
- I have my two references; do I need to get letters of recommendation from them?
No, letters of recommendation are not required.
- Who does one select, as a referee, for the application?Is it mandatory to have a referee?
Yes it is mandatory to have a 2 referee names on your application form. An ideal referee would be someone from your area of specialty and/ or a prominent figure who knows your work well and has engaged with it for a decent period of time. It could be your Professor, Curator, Artist, or anyone from the field of arts.
- I have just joined a gallery OR I have been with a gallery for the past 2 years, can I still apply for the grant?
Yes, if you have joined a gallery recently OR if you have joined 2 years before the final date of submission, you can still apply for the grant.
- What will be the system of releasing the grant towards the applicant? How many phases (if any)?
During the proposed time period of the project by the applicant, the grant amount will be released in between 2-4 phases, depending on the nature of the work and the jury’s recommendation.
- Is the project supposed to be exclusive? Can the applicant rebuild a project that has already been exhibited before in another gallery space?
Yes, the project has to be exclusive. Although, if the applicant has already produced the project in the past and wishes to create another series for the same project, they are allowed to do so with a detailed description of the same.
- Owing to the pandemic, if there are any unfortunate delays in the timeline (eg. the artist is detected with covid or forced into a quarantine scenario), will there be any consideration/ buffer to deliver the project timeline?
Yes, we will be in touch with the artist throughout their project timeline on a monthly basis. During this time, we expect the artist to update us on their schedule and what they are upto. In case of Covid, the artist will be excused for 15 days but will have to continue working post that. We also strongly advise the applicant to not travel during the project timeline to avoid a quarantine scenario.
- If the applicant decides to terminate the project midway due to certain circumstances, what are the repercussions of the same?
Once the applicant has accepted the grant formally by signing the acceptance letter, the applicant has to comply with the grant’s terms and conditions and Space118’s guidelines.
- How can I contact Space 118?
If you have any other questions, please email us at email@example.com.