Cyanotype Printing Workshop by Sarasija Subramanian
Greetings from Space118!
We are conducting a Cyanotype Printing Workshop by Sarasija Subramanian on the 21st, 22nd and 23rd September, 2017 from 11 am to 6 pm on the 21st, 22nd and from 11 am to 4 pm on the 23rd at Space 118, 118, Wadi Bunder Road, Opp. Copper Castle bldg., Near St. Mary’s School, Mazagaon, Mumbai-400010. For directions kindly see our website – http://www.space118.com/contact/
ABOUT SARASIJA SUBRAMANIAN
Sarasija Subramanian is an artist currently based in Vadodara. Her practice stems from analogies derived from the organic world in relation to its cultural and political implications. She extensively uses alternative photography techniques in her practice, stretching their scope by experimenting with various surfaces and image-making media.
Sarasija attained her M.F.A in Painting from M.S.U. Faculty of Fine Arts, Baroda, India (2017) after completing her B.F.A in Painting with a Minor in Graphics from the same.
She was the artist in residence at UNIDEE – University of Ideas at Cittadellarte, Fondazione Pistoletto (Biella, Italy) in 2016 and will be a resident at the Interface Residency in Recess, Ireland under the Inagh Valley Trust as well as at Space118 Studios, Mumbai in 2017.
She has participated in shows like Art el Centro, UNIDEE-Cittadellarte, Fondazione Pistoletto, Biella, Italy (2016), Dumas Art Project, Surat (2016), Heritage Show, Faculty Gallery, M.S.U. Faculty of Fine Arts, Baroda, India (2016) and The First Act, Faculty Gallery and Mayfair Atrium, M.S.U. Faculty of Fine Arts, Baroda, India (2014).
WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT
The workshop is an introduction to the Cyanotype Printing process, the experiments within its scope including the creation of photograms, and a hand-on approach to all the steps – from the making of the chemical to the developing and toning afterwards.
21st September (11 am to 6 pm)
– An introduction to the process, its history and possibilities.
– A round of exposures on pre-coated paper to get the hang of how it works.
– Making a batch of chemical (with instructions and help when needed) to understand the process thoroughly.
– Coating a few papers for exposure the next day.
– If time allows, then a few experiments with how to plan out the negatives, objects and image making for future cyanotypes.
22nd September (11 am to 6 pm)
– Exposures on the sheets coated the day before.
– Understanding the process of Tea Toning, and trying it on images developed the day before.
– Experiments with how to plan the negatives, objects and image making for future cyanotypes.
– Special focus on hand-made negatives and image manipulation.
– Coating paper using the chemicals made the previous day.
23rd September (11 am to 4 pm)
Last batch of exposures and the last step of the process done from scratch by the participants.
A second batch of Tea Toning, if requested.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PAY
The fees for this workshop are Rs. 3,540 inclusive of all materials.
Please note that attendance is compulsory on all three days.
WHAT YOU WILL GET
- Chemicals: Ferric ammonium citrate
- Paper for exposure
- Acid free sheets for final prints
- OHP sheets for hand-made negatives
- Required tools, including measurement tools, brushes
- Markers and inks
- Glass and board for contact sheets
- Disposable gloves
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
– Specific paper which they might want to utilize.
– Negative of images they would like to print, or photographs which they hope to re-create.
– Objects they would like to experiment with.
Note: Details and instructions will be provided on the first day, regarding what images and objects are suitable.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Open to ages 13 and above. Interested participants can participate with their children as well, as long as there is adult supervision and guidance with them.
Since we have limited seats we will confirm your spot only after receiving the payment for this workshop by 19th September, 2017.
For registration information please call 9820098755 or email –email@example.com